Thursday 31 December 2009

On a pale horse

I am assured that all knitters have the occasional nemesis, a pattern that for some reason, no matter how they try, they just can;t get right, or if they do, they run out of yarn and have to frog it anyway.

Mine is called Horace the Horse aka Binky
he was a free pattern
http://www.vintage-knitting-patterns.com/support-files/ezine/ezine105-creeper.pdf
that a pregnant friend of mine asked if I could make for her
the pattern was originally in a magazine pull out and had been "converted" for modern readers
the horse looked like cthulhu's pet, and so he was frogged. Because it was a vintage pattern I went looking for the original

I have tried 4 times to knit this accursed creature! and last night, whilst watching list programs on channel 4 I finished one side and it was right (something that never happens) so goddammit I picked up the yarn to cast on the second side
and there was no way I had enough yarn left. It had been eaten by the yarn eating monsters that live in my stash bucket. I was using a soft off white, and I had white, and there was only one thing to do
the angry goblin dance of IFRICKINGKNEWITIHATETHISPATTERN and pick up a ball of white DK from the same manufacturer and hope that the unborn child will not notice

I am NOT doing this pattern again
the thing is, when it works it's so easy. When it doesn't look like the elder gods could use him for atrip down to the shops (his front legs were coming out of his back)
I'm going to finish it in the white and embroider patches on him so no one will ever know!
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success

No comments:

Post a Comment